Creamy Mashed Cauliflower with garlic and chives is a creamy delicious side dish recipe that will satisfy even the heartiest mashed potato fan! This super easy microwave recipe has become a go low carb recipe the entire family will love!
Mashed Potatoes Substitute
There are two groups of people. Those who love mashed cauliflower and those who say there is no way it can be a substitute for it. I'm from the first group. I really love this mashed cauliflower recipe with garlic and chives recipe and could eat the whole bowl alone for my meal.
Some really die hard mashed potato fans just can't do the cauliflower as a low carb substitute. If you fall into that category, I highly recommend you just head on over to this Mashed Potato Recipe. I guarantee it's one you will be happy with!
Cauliflower makes a great substitute for mashed potatoes because of it's mild flavor and smooth texture when cooked and pureed. It has half the calories of potatoes and an anti-inflammatory low carb food that is a good source of vitamin C.
Cauliflower, I like to buy the head of cauliflower and corasely chop it myself, but the pre-riced cauliflower can also be used.
Garlic cloves and butter are used to add flavor. Be sure the butter is unsalted. If not, then be sure to taste test it before adding any salt. Use plant-based butter if vegan.
Heavy Cream, adds a creamy body to the mashed cauliflower and extra fat for those following keto.
Parmesan Cheese, to add a little cheesy flavor. When shopping for parmesan, be sure the ingredients include vegetable rennet, not animal rennet if you want this to be a vegetarian or vegan dish.
Fresh chives, because garlic and chives are a perfect match for mashed potatoes and cauliflower!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from affiliate links.
Microwave steamer, I love to use one like this one.
Food Processor, I use this one and it is very affordable.
Silicone spatulas, for scraping down the sides of the food processor. I love these!
Sharp knife to cut the cauliflower.
How to make Mashed Cauliflower with Garlic and Chives
- Place the cauliflower florets into a microwave steamer along with the whole garlic cloves. Steam for 8 minutes, or until the cauliflower florets are pierced easily with a fork.
- Carefully transfer the steamed cauliflower and garlic to a food processor. Add the heavy cream, butter, chives, salt, pepper, and parsmean cheese. Cover and process for 30 seconds.
- Continue to process while pouring the heavy cream into the top of the processor chute. Process for 1 minute, or until the cauliflower is creamy.
- Transfer the mashed cauliflower into a serving bowl. Top with a pat of butter and sprinkle with additional chopped chives.
💭 Top Tips
- Freeze any leftovers up to 3 months in an airtight container. Reheat on medium power in the microwave until warm or place in a small saucepan over low heat with a tablespoon of water.
- Microwaving the cauliflower is the easiest, less messy way to cook the cauliflower. I highly recommend using this cooking method.
- Be sure the butter and heavy cream are at room temperature.
- Buy the brick of parmesan cheese and shred it yourself. The dried parmesan cheese does not give the same result as fresh parmesan.
- If you don't have a food processor, a handheld potato masher can be used instead. The end result will be a bit chunkier of a mashed cauliflower.
- To reduce the amount of fat in the recipe, substitute non-fat greek yogurt for the heavy cream.
- Use a combination of your favorite fresh herbs in place of the chives. Good choices are rosemary, oregano, basil, or parsley.
- Substitute a shredded sharp cheddar or gouda cheese for the parmesan.
Make this a Vegan Plant Based Recipe
Below are a few ways to make this a complete vegan plant based recipe.
- Use a plant based butter and cashew milk in place of the butter and heavy cream.
- This brand carries a plant based cheese that works great in place of the parmesan.
- A tofu cream cheese substitute can be used in place of the heavy cream.
Mashed Cauliflower with Garlic and Chives
- Place the cauliflower and garlic in the microwave steamer and cook for 8 minutes, or until cauliflower is easily pierced with a fork.
- Transfer the cooked cauliflower and garlic to a food processor bowl. Add the butter, 2 tbsp of the chopped chives, salt, and pepper to the cauliflower and process for 30 seconds.
- Gradually pour the heavy cream into the food processor while continuing to process for 1 minute, or until the cauliflower mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Transfer the mashed cauliflower to a serving bowl. Top with the remaining butter and sprinkle with the remaining chives.