This recipe for Honey Glazed Carrots has the added touch of heat with a sprinkling of red pepper flakes added to the glazed carrots. This is a recipe for the sweet heat lover!
Honey Glazed Carrots are a welcome side dish to any meal. They go great with roasted chicken, turkey, beef, and ham.
Fresh cooked carrots are on the table
I have always loved fresh cooked carrots. As a matter of fact, the only carrot I care to eat is one that has been cooked from fresh. I love how carrots have a natural sweetness to them and they are delicious cooked with just butter and seasoned with salt and pepper.
However, I also am a lover of sweet heat and honey butter. Glazing these carrots with some of my favorite ingredients is one of my favorite ways to eat them. Although I admit, I normally save this honey glazed carrot recipe for my holiday table.
What you need to make this recipe
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from affiliate links.
You will need about 15 minutes total to make this recipe. Five of those minutes will be prep time unless you buy pre-cut baby carrots.
Carrots: I go the old fashioned way. I take large carrots, skin them, cut them in chunks, and then boil them. So easy Grumpy could do this!
Honey: I am a huge fan of raw honey. This is the brand that I love to use.
Unsalted Butter: If you use salted butter, just skip adding salt to the carrots.
Red Pepper Flakes: I am a huge red pepper flake fanatic. I sprinkle it on everything from avocado toast to pizza. This is the brand I always have on hand.
Tips for cooking fresh carrots
- Be sure to cut the carrots evenly. You want a consistent size carrot so they will cook evenly.
- Place the carrots in an empty saucepan. Then add the water to just cover the carrots. Sprinkle with a little salt and cover with a lid.
- Once the water begins to boil, start the timer for 10 minutes and continue to cook on medium heat.
- Test the cook on the carrots by piercing with a fork after about halfway through. If the carrots seem close to being done, check again in 2 minutes, continue until carrots are cooked.
- When the carrots are done cooking you should be able to easily pierce them with a fork.
Make this Honey Glazed Carrot recipe your own
- Substitute brown sugar for the honey. Use dark brown sugar if you want a deeper flavor
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice to the top of the carrots before serving
- Allow the butter to brown before adding the honey, it will give it a nuttier flavor
- Stir in a teaspoon of sriracha sauce in place of the red pepper flakes
- Skip the red pepper and stir in 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Other vegetable side dish recipes to enjoy
Mashed Potatoes with Garlic and Chives for the die-hard potato fan. Once you try this recipe, you may decide to never make them any other way again!
Garlic Mashed Cauliflower with Browned Butter is a delicious veggie side dish that cuts the carbs. This resembles mashed potatoes and is delicious with gravy. A great low carb keto option.
This Potato Salad Recipe is full of delicious flavors. Bacon, dill, and jalapeno combine with perfectly cooked potato for a delicious side dish.
Keto Potato Salad is the low carb keto version of my regular potato salad recipe only made with cauliflower. This is absolutely delicious as well!
This Broccoli Salad is a great recipe to make for potluck and picnics.
A delicious winter squash recipe for Roasted Acorn Squash is seasoned with maple syrup and browned butter for a delicious sweet and savory flavor.
If you have never tried Roasted Delicata Squash, then this is a great recipe to try. It is another one of those sweet heat recipes that satisfy.
I love to make this recipe for Air Fryer Cauliflower as a snack, but it also makes a great side dish to your meal.
*If you made this Honey Glazed Carrots with Red Pepper Flake Recipe, please give it a star rating*
A delicious side dish of tender boiled carrots in a honey butter sauce with a sprinkling of red pepper flakes.
- 1 pound carrots, skinned and cut into 1inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh chopped parsley flakes (optional)
- Place the carrots in a medium saucepan. Cover with water and sprinkle with salt if desired.
- Place the saucepan on the burner over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until they are fork-tender.
- Transfer the carrots to a bowl and set aside.
- Place the butter in the same saucepan the carrots were cooked in. Melt the butter, then add the honey to the butter. Bring the honey sauce to a boil then remove from heat.
- Return the cooked carrots to the honey sauce. Sprinkle with salt and pepper (if using) and red pepper flakes (if using). Toss to coat.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Sprinkle with parsley (if using).
Make this recipe paleo and substitute ghee for the butter.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 124Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 186mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 4gSugar: 13gProtein: 1g