Zucchini Lasagna is made with zucchini has been cut into the shape of a lasagna noodle. The noodles are then layered with a traditional filling of Italian Sausage and cheese before baking. This is a delicious gluten free, low-carb lasagna recipe that you will love even if your not following a low-carb keto diet!
Serve this Zucchini Lasagna recipe to your keto friends when you invite them over for dinner! Whether you are following a keto low-carb lifestyle or not, this recipe is a great way to offer less carbs at a meal. Serve it at game-day as a main dish and with some cheesy garlic bread for your non-keto friends. Or, keep it totally low-carb and offer some low carb Cauliflower Cheese Bread!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
Replacing lasagna noodles with zucchini noodles
Zucchini is naturally shaped similar to a regular lasagna noodle! Its very easy to use a mandoline slicer and make lasagna shaped slices by slicing it lengthwise along the zucchini.
One medium sized zucchini has a total of 6 carbs (4 net carbs) making it a great substitute for pasta. This lasagna recipe is just as delicious as any pasta laden lasagna and you don’t have to be keto to enjoy it!
Tips for the perfect keto zucchini lasagna recipe
Prevent soggy lasagna
You can prevent watery, soggy lasagna by removing excess moisture from zucchini noodles. Zucchini tends to be very watery. Because of this, you will want to try to remove as much of the water from the zucchini slices as possible.
I like to slice my zucchini slices about 1/4 inch thick. This is a little on the thick side, but I want my zucchini noodle to have more substance to it. Once they are sliced, I lay the slices out onto a paper towel lined baking sheet. Then, the zucchini slices are sprinkled generously with salt.
You will see the zucchini begin to look watery on top. The salt is drawing the excess moisture out of the zucchini. Let the slices set for a good 15 – 30 minutes. Then blot the slices dry with more paper towels.
Get a good cook on the sausage
While the zucchini is sitting, prepare the remaining ingredients. Cook the ground meat and onions together in a large skillet. I used sweet Italian Sausage for this recipe but have been known to use hot Italian Sausage, ground beef, or ground venison.
When I use Italian Sausage, I like to cook it to the point that it is a little on the crispy side. The browned bits really add to the flavors in the meat portion of this recipe.
The cheese to use in your lasagna recipe
I like to use full fat cheese. If you are not keto, but want low carb and low fat, just use part-skim ricotta and part-skim mozzarella.
To make the ricotta mixture, just stir together the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, parsley, and egg.
The best sauce for your zucchini lasagna
My favorite pre-made sauce is Victoria Vodka Sauce. It has no added sugars and is not watery like other marinara sauces can tend to be. I highly recommend it if your not into making your own tomato sauce. However, if you prefer to make your own, this recipe for Homemade Marinara Sauce is a good one to use!
Equipment needed to make this recipe
Be safe with the mandoline
I have to add this caution. Basically because I should have known better myself. I do have a cutting glove, but didn’t grab it when the mandoline guide wouldn’t move the zucchini for me. As a result, I sliced my pinky finger pretty badly. Lesson learned. Never use a Mandoline without a cutting glove if you are not using the cutting guide that comes with it!
Keto recipe variations
- Leave out the meat and add cooked portobello mushroom slices and onions.
- Thaw out a package of frozen spinach, squeeze it dry and stir it in with the ricotta mixture.
- Make the recipe with this Easy Alfredo Sauce in place of marinara.
- Give the lasagna a flavor layer by roasting the zucchini lasagna strips in the oven after draining them on paper towels. Roasting them at 350 degrees for about 10-15 minutes depending on the thickness of your zucchini strips.
- Sprinkle about a teaspoon of garlic powder over the sausage and onions while it is cooking.
- Cut some fresh basil into ribbons and sprinkle over the hot zucchini lasagna as soon as you take it out of the oven. This infuses the basil flavors more and the aroma is incredible!
- If you prefer to use meat sauce, just add the marinara to your cooked italian sausage and go from there. I prefer to have no meat on the top lasagna layer, just sauce and mozzarella cheese.
Other Keto Friendly Zucchini Recipes you may like
Our garden has had a huge surplus of zucchini this year. So, I have been busy making recipes with zucchini! Below are some of our favorites so far!
Low-Carb Biscuits with Zucchini and Cheese have become a staple this summer. We eat these any time of day, and would be a great compliment to this Zucchini Lasagna as well!
These Keto Zucchini Chips with Everything But the Bagel Seasoning make a great keto friendly snack.
How about some Zucchini with breakfast? These Low-Carb Zucchini Egg Nests make a perfect Sunday Brunch recipe!
I absolutely love the flavors in this Zucchini Curry Lime Soup recipe! This makes a great lunch or appetizer recipe.
Low-Carb Zucchini Cupcake Quiche is a delicious recipe to eat at any time of day! I love the single serving sized portions and the flavor is absolutely delicious! Because these are easily portable, you can make and take these for breakfast or lunch and easily reheat them in the microwave.
*If you made this recipe, please give it a star rating!*
Zucchini Lasagna with Italian Sausage
- 2 large Zucchini Squash sliced 1/4 in thick, lengthwise
- 1 lb Sweet Italian Sausage
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 3 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 24 oz jar Victoria Vodka Sauce
- Using a mandoline, slice the zucchini squash lengthwise to make 1/4 inch thick noodle shapes. Discard the first sliced cut of zucchini as it will be mainly the skin.
- Lay the zucchini slices out onto a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Generously sprinkle with salt. Let sit at least 30 minutes to allow water to release from zucchini. Pat dry with paper towels.
- In a large skillet, add Italian Sausage and diced onion. Cook until well browned.
- Mix together the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, large egg, and parsley until well combined.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Begin layering the lasagna. Start with some 1/3 of the cooked meat and sauce on the bottom of the pan. Then add 1 layer of zucchini noodles. For me this took 3 slices and they were touching one another. You may need more or less depending on the size of your zucchini.
- The next layer will be the ricotta mixture. Spoon half of the ricotta onto the zucchini slices and spread it around evenly. Then, spoon some of the vodka sauce over top of the ricotta, Just enough to have a thin layer overlaying it. Sprinkle with 1 cup of shredded mozzarella and another portion of the meat mixture.
- Repeat the process for another layer. Then, for the final layer, place zucchini noodles on top and cover with sauce and the remaining cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Transfer baking dish to the oven and bake at 375 degrees for 50-60 minutes. The top of the zucchini will be browned and you will see the sauce bubbling.
- Remove zucchini lasagna from the oven and let cool at least 15 minutes. I let mine sit for 30 minutes before slicing. It was still warm and it held together fairly well. Take note that because this is zucchini lasagna, it will not be as firm as one made with pasta. But, it is equally delicious and well worth making!