Green Bean Soup is a delicious plant based recipe that is ready in under 30 minutes. Fresh green beans are combined with baby yukon gold potatoes, in a milk based broth. A simple and delicious soup recipe that uses vegetables straight from your garden!
This is a great recipe to serve as a side dish to your main meal. We often will make this soup recipe lower carb by substituting diced turnips for the potatoes. It makes a great light lunch with Keto Rye Bagels covered with cream cheese or butter on the side. If your not carb conscious, then this Grilled Ham and Blue Cheese Sandwich goes great next to it!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Why I make this Green Bean Soup Recipe
This soup recipe is one my mom would make often whenever we had fresh green beans in the house. It is very similar to the corn chowder recipe she would make that was another family favorite! Since we had plenty of fresh green beans in the garden this year, I decided it was time to make this childhood favorite.
Potatoes and green beans are some of Grumpy’s very favorite vegetables! As far as he is concerned, we didn’t plant enough green beans to make him happy. I am the one processing all of this produce, and it is just way too hard to keep up with. That is why I try making recipes we can eat on the spot as well as preserve some of that produce!
What you need to make this soup recipe
What I love about this plant based soup recipe is it’s made with fresh ingredients. Green beans and potatoes, onions, butter, milk, heavy cream, and some concentrated vegetable broth. All of the vegetables in this recipe came straight from our garden!
It all starts with some garden fresh green beans. I like to steam my green beans in the microwave after I have cleaned and cut them. I cook them on the automatic steam setting. On this setting, the green beans will cook just enough to still have a slight bite to them.
The potatoes should be pre-cooked. I like to dice them first, then bring to a boil until they are fork tender. I used Yukon Gold potatoes but baby red potatoes would be great. Leftover baked potato works great also!
The broth base is made with whole milk mixed with a little bit of heavy cream and butter. Once in a while I will add some Better than Bouillon concentrated broth base to add a little more flavor. By using this broth base, you won’t need to add salt!
Some variations to this use in this Green Bean Soup Recipe
- Thicken the soup up by mashing half of the potatoes before adding to the soup.
- Add some leftover meatballs from this Venison Meatball Alfredo recipe. Another addition we like to make is either sweet or hot Italian sausage crumbles.
- Instead of olive oil to cook the onions, cook a few slices of bacon and use the bacon grease. Then, crumble the bacon over top of your soup before serving.
- Make this a vegetable soup full of veggies! reduce the beans to 1 cup and substitute the other cup with your favorite vegetables.
- Want to add a vegetable protein instead of animal products? Try adding some cooked lentils!
- If you want to reduce the fat in this recipe, just sub 1% milk and half and half. Or, make it dairy free and use a creamy cashew milk.
More delicious plant based recipes with green beans!
As you can imagine, I need a LOT of green bean recipes to satisfy my bean loving hubby! I also love that you can make many lower carb recipes using this delicious vegetable!
I also am a big fan of different cooking methods! We are huge air fryer fans, and this recipe for Air Fryer Green Beans is absolute perfection! Roasting give you a similar result as the air fryer does. So, if you don’t own an air fryer be sure to try this recipe for Garlic Roasted Green Beans!
Steaming is another favorite way of cooking our garden fresh green beans. We found this recipe for Sesame Steamed Green Beans that has become a fast and delicious way to cook them. While this recipe uses the stove top steaming method, I have been using my microwave steamer lately.
This recipe for Sesame Green Bean Salad uses blanched green beans. It is so fresh and full of flavor with just a touch of sweet heat. Green Bean Salad with Almonds is another one we love! The honey mustard dressing is so delicious! To make either of these recipes lower carb, just substitute your favorite low carb sweetener for the honey!
Green Beans as your Main Course Meal!
I also love to make one dish plant based meals with green beans. Lebanese Green Beef and Beef Stew is not only plant based, but low carb! Serve this over rice, riced cauliflower or just enjoy it on it’s own!
While pasta is a rarity in our home, Lemon Garlic Linguine with Green Beans is a special treat. If you really don’t want to go the pasta route, you could try the Shirataki noodles. We will do this often if we don’t want to splurge on the carbs.
*If you made this recipe, please give it a star rating!*
Green Bean Soup Recipe
- 2 cups potatoes diced and cooked
- 4 cups green beans cut into 1" pieces
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp Better than Bouillon Broth Base Vegetable flavored, Optional
- Dice and cook potatoes in a large pot over medium heat until fork tender.
- Microwave cut green beans on automatic setting for fresh vegetables (approximately 3-5 minutes).
- Melt 2 tbsp butter to stock pot and heat until bubbly. Add diced onion and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add green beans and potatoes to the pan. Toss to combine.
- Pour milk and heavy cream into stock pot and continue to cook over medium low heat until warmed.