This Low Carb Pizza Crust Recipe is a keto friendly dough made with mozzarella, cream cheese, and almond flour. It turns out to be a surprisingly delicious, keto friendly recipe that is easy adapt to flavoring, and very easy to make!
Pizza can be one of the hardest things for a low carb dieter to give up. As a matter of fact, there are times I still want my regular pizza crust and none of the mozzarella pizza crust. However, it is great to have options and when we aren't treating ourselves to a regular crust for a special occasion, you will find us consuming the mozzarella pizza crust instead.
Favorite Recipes Made Keto
Our decision to eat Keto was due to Grumpy being diagnosed with diabetes. It was easier for me at first, but as time went on, Grumpy has found it easier to follow the low carb lifestyle.
Part of the reason it has not been as difficult as we expected is because I have been able to make recipes like this pizza crust. Being able to still enjoy pizza has been a big plus!
Keto Pizza Crust FAQ's
This recipe is made with part-skimmed mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, almond flour, and egg. There are optional seasonings added to the crust to give it a little bit of flavoring.
Unfortunately, low carb pizza is lacking the gluten from flour. The gluten is what gives pizza its yeasty, doughy texture. This recipe will not be soft and doughy like a regular pizza crust. Rather it will be more like a crispy thin crust pizza.
Low carb pizza crust is not as sturdy as one made with regular flour. However, once the pizza has cooled slightly, you can still consume it by using your hands.
This low carb pizza crust is similar to a thin crust pizza. It has a flavor closer to pizza crust due to the almond flour in the dough.
Almond Flour, I find this brand works best.
Similar to a thin crust pizza dough, this low carb pizza crust will become a staple for your keto kitchen!
First, you want to measure and sort your ingredients prior to assembly. This will make putting it together so much easier!
Place mozzarella and cream cheese in microwave safe bowl and microwave until soft enough to combine.
Add almond flour, seasonings and egg and mix until well combined. Return dough to microwave to soften dough should it become hard to mix.
Flatten the pizza crust by pressing with your hands, or using a rolling pin. If your crust sticks to your hands or rolling pin, spray your hands or rolling pin with a little non stick cooking spray to prevent sticking.
Before placing pizza crust in the oven, prick several holes with the tines of a fork. This will help prevent "bubbling." Place pizza crust in oven and bake for 10 minutes. Watch carefully, if crust begins to puff up on top (bubbling), prick with a fork to deflate.
Take pizza crust out of oven and carefully flip it over onto the cookie sheet. Return to oven and bake another 10 minutes until lightly browned.
Your pizza crust is now ready to top with your favorite pizza toppings. Alternatively, you can cool it completely and freeze it up to 2 weeks, until ready to use.
- If you find your dough is getting hard to combine, place the dish back in the microwave and heat it another 15-30 seconds or until the cheese is soft enough to continue stirring the almond flour ingredients in.
- When rolling out your dough, place a non-adhesive shelf liner under the cookie sheet to prevent it from sliding across your table when rolling.
- If your dough sticks to your hands or rolling pin, you can use cooking spray to help or dampen your hands with water.
- Prebake the pizza crust and freeze it up to 3 months. When ready to use, just remove from the freezer, assemble with toppings, and bake.
- Eliminate the herbs and seasonings for an unflavored pizza crust.
- Make breadsticks and lightly brush with garlic butter and sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese
More Low Carb Recipes
Try these Keto Desserts
If you made this recipe, please give it a star rating, thank you!
Low Carb Pizza Crust
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1½ cups part skim mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ½ teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 large egg whisked
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, microwave the cream cheese and mozzarella cheese for 60 second. Remove from microwave and stir. Return to microwave and cook another 30 seconds. Stir until well combined.
- Add the almond flour, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and egg. Stir until almond flour is well incorporated into cheese. If mixture becomes too sticky, microwave another 10-15 seconds to warm up.
- Place the parchment paper on a large cookie sheet. Place the pizza dough on parchment paper and roll out thin. Poke holes in the crust with tines of fork. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove pizza crust from oven and turn over so bottom of crust becomes the top. Bake another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with desired pizza toppings. Return to oven and bake another 10 minutes, until toppings are hot and cheese is melted.