This Low Carb Pizza Crust Recipe is a keto friendly dough made with mozzarella, cream cheese, and almond flour. It turns out to be a surprisingly delicious, keto friendly recipe that is easy adapt to flavoring, and very easy to make!
Pizza can be one of the hardest things for a low carb dieter to give up. As a matter of fact, there are times I still want my regular pizza crust and none of the mozzarella pizza crust. However, it is great to have options and when we aren’t treating ourselves to a regular crust for a special occasion, you will find us consuming the mozzarella pizza crust instead.
Enjoying our favorite meals while on Keto
Our decision to eat Keto was due to Grumpy being diagnosed with diabetes. It was easier for me at first, but as time went on, Grumpy has found it easier to follow the low carb lifestyle.
Part of the reason it has not been as difficult as we expected is because I have been able to make recipes like this pizza crust. Being able to still enjoy pizza has been a big plus!
Low Carb Pizza Crust Recipe FAQ’s
This recipe is made with part-skimmed mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, almond flour, and egg. There are optional seasonings added to the crust to give it a little bit of flavoring.
Unfortunately, low carb pizza is lacking the gluten from flour. The gluten is what gives pizza its yeasty, doughy texture. This recipe will not be soft and doughy like a regular pizza crust. Rather it will be more like a crispy thin crust pizza.
Low carb pizza crust is not as sturdy as one made with regular flour. However, once the pizza has cooled slightly, you can still consume it by using your hands.
This low carb pizza crust is similar to a thin crust pizza. It has a flavor closer to pizza crust due to the almond flour in the dough.
Let’s make some Microwave Pizza Crust Magic – step by step!
Similar to a thin crust pizza dough, this low carb pizza crust will become a staple for your keto kitchen!
First, you want to measure and sort your ingredients prior to assembly. This will make putting it together so much easier!
Place mozzarella and cream cheese in microwave safe bowl and microwave until soft enough to combine.
Add almond flour, seasonings and egg and mix until well combined. Return dough to microwave to soften dough should it become hard to mix.
Flatten the pizza crust by pressing with your hands, or using a rolling pin. If your crust sticks to your hands or rolling pin, spray your hands or rolling pin with a little non stick cooking spray to prevent sticking.
Before placing pizza crust in the oven, prick several holes with the tines of a fork. This will help prevent “bubbling.” Place pizza crust in oven and bake for 10 minutes. Watch carefully, if crust begins to puff up on top (bubbling), prick with a fork to deflate.
Take pizza crust out of oven and carefully flip it over onto the cookie sheet. Return to oven and bake another 10 minutes until lightly browned.
Your pizza crust is now ready to top with your favorite pizza toppings. Alternatively, you can cool it completely and freeze it up to 2 weeks, until ready to use.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
Tips on ingredients
- Use a good quality mozzarella cheese and buy pre-shredded cheese for the crust. The little bit of starch on the cheese shreds actually help when making this dough. And, it’s not enough to add too many carbs.
- Pre-measure your ingredients and have them in place to add when appropriate. This will ensure you get your ingredients in quickly and can start working the dough while it is still hot.
Tips when making the recipe
- If you find your dough is getting hard to combine, place the dish back in the microwave and heat it another 15-30 seconds or until the cheese is soft enough to continue stirring the almond flour ingredients in.
- When rolling out your dough, place a non-adhesive shelf liner under the cookie sheet to prevent it from sliding across your table when rolling.
- If your dough sticks to your hands or rolling pin, you can use cooking spray to help or dampen your hands with water.
Do you have a sweet tooth that kicks in after dinner?
I don’t know about you, but Grumpy and I both have a sweet tooth. When this happens, I like to have quick and easy dessert recipe. Some of my go to recipes are Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake. This recipe is made in a mug in the microwave and is freakin fabulous! I also love these Chocolate Peanut Butter Fat Bombs. I am not kidding you, they taste just like a no bake cookie and they are also no bake!
Low Carb Pizza Crust
- 1-1/2 cups part skim mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 large egg whisked
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In large mixing bowl, microwave cream cheese and mozzarella cheese for 60 second. Remove from microwave and stir. Return to microwave and cook another 30 seconds. Stir until well combined.
- Add almond flour, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and egg. Stir until almond flour is well incorporated into cheese. If mixture becomes too sticky, microwave another 10-15 seconds to warm up.
- Place parchment paper on large cookie sheet. Place pizza dough on parchment paper and roll out thin. Poke holes in crust with tines of fork. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove pizza crust from oven and turn over so bottom of crust becomes the top. Bake another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with desired pizza toppings.
- Return to oven and bake another 10 minutes, until toppings are hot and cheese is melted.