This Homemade Pasta Sauce is made with home-canned tomatoes for the best flavor possible. The blend of Italian seasonings and vegetables makes a delicious, thick pasta sauce. It is low carb and perfect for your pan of Zucchini Lasagna or to cover these Vegetarian Patties.
This easy homemade pasta sauce is ready in just 30 minutes and is low carb and keto-friendly. It has become my go-to recipe that comes together fairly quickly and is super easy to make.
The best ingredients for the best homemade pasta sauce
I have been making this Homemade Pasta Sauce with Canned Tomatoes for years. In my opinion, it outranks any store-bought sauce on the shelf. The reason I believe this is the best recipe is because it has the best combination of ingredients possible. This is my go-to sauce recipe for anything I need red sauce for.
I love to preserve my garden harvest to be able to use it all year long. As a result, I am able to have the best homemade pasta sauce with tomatoes I grew right in my garden. I can my tomatoes in quart jars and when I make this recipe, I will make two quarts.
The end result is 6 cups of a quick and easy homemade pasta sauce that will feed 12 people. It is nice and thick and full of delicious homemade flavor.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from affiliate links.
What you need to make this recipe
Canned Tomatoes: Home-canned tomatoes give the best flavor. However, you can easily buy canned crushed tomatoes or diced tomatoes to use in this recipe. Two (28 oz) cans can be substituted.
Dried Herbs: I used dried spices, Italian seasoning, basil, and oregano.
Monkfruit: I have always used a sweetener in my pasta sauce. Monkfruit is an all-natural sweetener that keeps this recipe lower-carb and keto-friendly.
Large stockpot: Use at least a 6-quart stockpot to make this homemade pasta sauce.
Food Processor: I use a food processor to make the homemade pasta sauce smooth. The step to process the sauce can be ignored if you prefer a chunky sauce.
Variations to this low carb homemade pasta sauce recipe
- Add an 8 ounce can of tomato sauce and reduce the tomato paste to half.
- Brown some ground beef, Italian sausage, veal, or pork to make a meaty homemade spaghetti sauce. You can also use a combination of any of these meats.
- Use fresh tomatoes for recipes calling for canned. You will need 8 cups fresh tomatoes, or 4 pounds.
- Use red and green bell pepper in place of the jalapeno.
- Use 2 tablespoons of granulated or brown sugar in the recipe if you don't follow a low carb or keto diet.
Tips for a successful recipe
- Time spent simmering the sauce on the stove can vary. It will depend on your preference of thickness. We like a fairly thick sauce and 30 minutes usually will suffice. More or less time will be needed depending on what you like.
- If using ground meat, be sure to add the seasonings once it has begun to brown. This will help infuse the flavors into the meat also.
- Double this recipe and make it ahead of time to be stored in the freezer. Use quart-sized freezer for storage. When freezing the bag of sauce, be sure to lay it flat on a cookie sheet in the freezer.
Other ways to cook this homemade pasta sauce
I recommend only two ways to make this sauce. First is the stove-top method as I have written below. The other way is the slow cooker. A delicious homemade pasta sauce is slow-cooked and simmered.
To make this recipe in the slow cooker, place all of the ingredients in the crock and stir to combine. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until the sauce has thickened. If adding meat to the sauce, brown the meat with the onion, garlic, and pepper first. Then add it to the crockpot with the remaining ingredients.
How to use this recipe
One of my favorite recipes to use this homemade pasta sauce in is Spaghetti Pie. While it is a carb comfort food, it is a family recipe that we have made for years.
Omit the alfredo sauce on this low carb keto Venison Meatball Alfredo and use this homemade pasta sauce instead.
Pour some sauce over this recipe for Mom's Vegetarian Meatballs for a great vegetarian meal.
I have used it in place of the tomato sauce in this recipe for Red and White Cauliflower Bake.
Use it to make goulash or substitute it for the pasta sauce in this recipe for Meatball Chili.
These Quick Dinner Rolls are perfect for dipping into the sauce at the bottom of your dinner bowl.
*If you made this recipe, please give it a star rating*
Homemade Pasta Sauce
- 2 quarts tomatoes
- 1 large jalapeno pepper diced
- ½ onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons monkfruit
- 6 oz tomato paste
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, saute the onion, garlic, and jalapeno pepper in the olive oil. Add the tomatoes, Italian seasoning, basil, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and monkfruit.
- Whisk in the tomato paste to combine. Bring the sauce to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened to you're preference.
- Remove the pasta sauce from the heat and cool until no longer hot.
- If desired transfer the cooled pasta sauce to a food processor and process until smooth.
- Store any unused pasta sauce in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Or, freeze up to 3 months in quart-sized freezer bags.