These Hot Ham and Cheese Sliders are baked in the oven with leftover ham, sweet hot pepper jelly and Havarti cheese. These delicious appetizer sandwiches are perfect as a meal or any party or game day recipe.
Slider recipes are it when it comes to game day gatherings. Everyone loves a hot and tasty sandwich that they can grab and eat with their hands as they are cheering on their favorite team. These slider sandwiches are also great for a hot lunch with a bowl of soup or have 3 sliders for lunch with a side of Everything but the Bagel Zucchini Chips!
The Ultimate Hot Ham and Cheese Slider recipe for the big game
When thinking about making these ham and cheese sandwiches, I knew that I wanted something just a little bit different. I wanted something that would be cheesy and hot but still would have some of the other flavor profiles that I love in a hot slider sandwich.
I’m completely addicted to the sweet heat combination. So when it came down to the spread for these sliders, it was a no brainer that I would use a pepper jelly. For the cheese, I wanted something that would be smooth and melty, so I chose Havarti, which is one of my favorite cheeses.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from affiliate links.
What you need to make these Sweet Hot Ham and Cheese sliders
Hawaiian Rolls: These are a slightly sweet bread roll that is small in size and perfect for mini sandwiches. You can buy them, or you can make your own sweet dinner roll for sandwiches.
Havarti Cheese: This is a mellow soft cheese that melts wonderfully and is very mild. It pairs perfectly with ham and the flavors in this slider.
Ham: Leftover ham is great if you have it. You can substitute deli-sliced ham if desired.
Sweet Hot Pepper Jelly: This is my very favorite brand.
What makes these Ham and Cheese Sliders special
These Ham and Cheese Sliders are one of the most sought after types of appetizer sandwiches when it comes to game day gatherings. The easy preparation, how they are served, and especially their delicious flavor makes them a very desirable party food.
One of the things that makes these Sweet Hot Ham and Cheese Sliders so special is the sauce that gets brushed over the top of the slider rolls before baking. Most people use a savory combination of butter and mustard. I decided to go with butter and maple syrup, with some garlic powder stirred in.
Making this slider appetizer sandwich your own
- Use a different kind of cheese. I recommend a softer one such as swiss cheese. Ham and Swiss are a very common combination that is delicious. Colby or Meunseter Cheese would work well also.
- Play with the roll topping. Stir some dried onions or poppy seeds into the butter mixture.
- Replace the maple syrup for the topping with brown sugar or honey.
- Skip the sweetener and just brush the tops of the rolls with a buttery garlic sauce then sprinkle with some everything but the bagel seasoning.
- Try changing the protein and use leftover turkey or roast beef instead.
More Oven-Baked Slider recipes you may like
Everyone loves party food you can eat with your fingers. Either at an informal party, tailgating, or gathered around the TV watching the big game.
Sliders are always welcome at these types of events. Buffalo Chicken Sliders, have the flavors of a buffalo wing in a tasty oven-baked slider sandwich.
Crispy Pork Belly Sliders are super delish, with the crispy pork belly sandwiched between a sweet bun and spicy-sweet hot sriracha mayo!
White Castle Like Sliders is another oven-baked slider sandwich made with ground beef for the die-hard beef fans at your party.
If you’re looking for something a little different, these Beijing Beef Sliders with Broccoli Slaw will do the trick!
Check out this post for more than 100+ Superbowl Recipe Ideas!
*If you made these Sweet Hot Ham and Cheese Sliders, please give them a star rating*
- 12 (1 package) Hawaiian Slider Rolls
- 1/3 cup sweet hot pepper jelly
- 3/4 pound leftover ham
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Havarti cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon diced jalapeno (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a casserole baking dish with parchment paper.
- Slice the Hawaiian rolls in half and place the bottom half in the casserole dish on top of the parchment paper.
- Spread the bottom roll layer with the sweet hot pepper jelly.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup Havarti cheese over top of the jelly layer.
- Spread the ham over the top of the cheese and sprinkle the ham with the remaining cheese. Sprinkle with diced jalapeno (if using).
- Cover the sliders with the top half of the rolls.
- Combine the butter, maple syrup, and garlic powder and brush over top of the sliders using a pastry brush.
- Cover the sliders with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Remove the aluminum foil and bake another 10 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 157 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 40mg Sodium: 413mg Carbohydrates: 9g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 7g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 11g