This Big Mac Casserole is all the flavor of the popular Big Mac Sandwich, without all the carbs. Browned ground beef is sauteed with seasonings and topped with an egg batter. Then, it is baked in a casserole dish with cheese and sesame seeds on top and served on a bed of lettuce with a flavorful sugar-free Mac sauce.
This gluten free and low carb recipe is perfect for family dinner and will satisfy those who eat carbs along with those who don't. Enjoy your Big Mac on a plate without the guilt. Save some money along with all those carbs and skip the fast food joint.
Family Dinner Night is Casserole Night
Since the kids have moved back to our area, we have a weekly family dinner. It can be challenging with the different diets, but thankfully, my children aren't as picky as my hubby and they are willing to try what I make. Casseroles have been the name of the game lately, and it has been working out quite well.
This Big Mac Casserole went over great with everyone. Especially my granddaughter who went back for seconds. It reminded me a little of the cheeseburger pie my Mom would make with biscuit mix. Except there was no biscuit mix in it.
What you need to make Big Mac Casserole
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from affiliate links.
Ground Beef: I always use a good quality beef for the best flavor.
Heavy Cream: Any brand will work here.
Eggs: Unless specified, I always use large eggs in my recipes.
Sesame Seeds for sprinkling on top of the casserole.
Smoked Paprika: This is used in the Big Mac Sauce and gives it a distinct flavor that is so delicious!
Sugar-Free Ketchup: Be sure the ketchup you purchase is sugar-free. Most ketchups will have added sugar. I use this sugar-free one.
Coconut Aminos: I used this in place of Worcestershire sauce which has sugar in it. Be sure the coconut aminos you buy is a keto-approved one.
Variations to the recipe
- Use this sugar-free and keto-friendly recipe for Thousand Island Dressing instead of the Big Mac sauce.
- If you are not keto, then feel free to use regular or low-fat milk in place of the heavy cream.
- For keto dieters, almond milk can be substituted for the heavy cream to reduce the fat a little.
- Sprinkle some jalapeno pepper along with the onions in step 1.
- Top the casserole with tomato slices before baking.
Other Casserole recipes that are low carb and keto
Chicken Enchilada Casserole is Mexican take out in your oven. Skip all the carbs and get right to the flavor.
Zucchini Lasagna with Italian Sausage uses zucchini noodles in place of the pasta and is a delicious alternative.
Low Carb Lasagna made with palmini noodles and spicy Italian sausage, this is a keeper recipe!
Low Carb Steak and Mushroom Pie is similar to a cottage pie, this recipe is topped with a mashed cauliflower to cut the carbs.
*If you made this recipe for Big Mac Casserole, please give it a star rating*
Big Mac Casserole
FOR THE CASSEROLE
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef until it begins to brown. Stir in the onion, garlic powder, and salt and cook for 7 minutes, or until beef has browned and onion has softened.
- Stir in the coconut aminos and cream cheese until incorporated. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray. Spread the beef mixture in the bottom of the casserole dish.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and heavy cream. Pour the heavy cream mixture over the meat mixture evenly.
- Sprinkle the Big Mac Casserole with the shredded cheese and place in the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and sprinkle with sesame seeds (if using). Return the casserole to the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and casserole is cooked through.
- While the casserole is baking, make the Big Mac Sauce. Mix the mayonnaise, ketchup, pickle relish, garlic powder, and smoked paprika together until combined. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.