Bang Bang Shrimp is an easy to make copycat recipe from Bonefish Grill that is extra crispy and has a sweet, spicy, and savory sauce coating.
Made with just a few ingredients, this shrimp recipe is perfect as a main course or appetizer. We also love to put Bang Bang Shrimp in corn tortillas with fresh cilantro for a delicious fusion of mexican and asian cuisine!
What Is Bang Bang Shrimp
Bang Bang Shrimp is also known as Firecracker Shrimp. It is called so because of the pop of heat you get in the sauce. Combined with the sweet, salty, and savory, it is a delicious flavor that is absolutely delicious!
This shrimp appetizer is of Thai origin. The cornstarch and egg white give the shrimp a coating that when fried, is super crispy. It became quite popular as a restaurant item at Bonefish Grill and the rest is history!
The Secret To Extra Crispy Fried Shrimp
I have been making Honey Walnut Shrimp for years now. When I first made that recipe, I realized that cornstarch was the ingredient that would cling to the shrimp easily and it would crisp up nicely.
Adding it to egg white helps to make a batter, similar to a beer batter, that coats the shrimp. Once fried, it is so crispy and delicious, you will never want to use a flour breading again! Cornstarch batter does take a little longer to brown, but it is entirely worth it.
What You Need To Make This Appetizer
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from affiliate links.
*Please see the recipe card for full instructions and ingredients*
Raw Shrimp that is peeled and deveined
Sweet Chili Sauce, I love to use this brand.
Mayonnaise, this is the best one to use!
Cornstarch, this is my go to brand.
Oil for frying, this is the best oil to use for frying food.
Tips and Recommendations
- Be sure to use the candy thermometer to keep an eye on the oil temperature. It should remain at 350 degrees.
- Whisk the cornstarch and egg whites until thoroughly combined. It will become pasty like. When the shrimp is added, the little bit of water from the shrimp will loosen the coating up just a little.
- The cornstarch coating can take time to brown. Be patient, it could take a little longer than you anticipate. The reward is extra crispy fried shrimp!
- Add a teaspoon of sriracha sauce to the bang bang shrimp sauce.
- Serve the bang bang shrimp in warm corn or flour tortillas or over top of this vegetable fried rice.
Other Shrimp Recipes To Try
*If you made this Bang Bang Shrimp Recipe, please give it a star rating*
Bang Bang Shrimp
- 2 lb raw shrimp peeled and deveined with tails removed
- ⅔ cup cornstarch
- 4 large egg whites
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sweet chili sauce
- 1 scallion green part only, optional
- 4 cup oil for frying
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg whites and cornstarch until a sticky paste forms.
- Add the raw shrimp to the cornstarch mixture and toss well to coat.
- In a large dutch oven, heat the oil until it reaches a temperature of 350 degrees. Add the shrimp, one piece at a time. Cook for 3 minutes, or until batter is lightly browned. Remove the shrimp from the pot and drain on a paper towel lined bowl. Continue to fry remaining shrimp.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir to combine the mayonnaise and sweet chili sauce. Place the fried shrimp in a clean mixing bowl and pour the sauce over top. Toss to coat the shrimp with the sauce. Before serving, sprinkle with green onion tops, if using