These Keto Asiago Bagels are the next best thing to the real thing! A fathead dough made into bagel form and flavored with Asiago Cheese on the inside and sprinkled on the outside. A low carb keto bagel to enjoy as breakfast with cream cheese, sugar-free jam, or to use in place of a burger bun in these Loose Meat Sandwiches for a keto meal.
My very favorite bagel of all time
In my younger years, I loved bagels that were on the sweeter side. Cinnamon Raisin or Blueberry being my top choice. Then, as I got older, sweets seemed to not be as appealing to me. I was introduced to the Asiago Bagel a few years back when a friend brought one to work.
She brought enough to share, and I was hooked. The Asiago cheese bagel topping had melted down between the hole and baked onto the bottom got me good. It was my best part of the bagel. Bread be damned!
Asiago Bagels made Low Carb and Keto Friendly
Before I went Keto I would make sandwiches with an Asiago Bagel. My favorite one being this Chili Lime Chicken Bagel. Any excuse I could find to eat an Asiago Bagel, I would. However, my keto diet took that away from me.
The first low carb bagel I made was a Keto Rye Bagel. It was pretty successful and I really enjoy using it to make sandwich melts. My desire for an Asiago Bagel was getting strong so I decided to just try and make a keto one to have in my recipe file.
What you need to make this recipe
Almond Flour: Use a finely ground almond flour.
Cream Cheese: Go for the full-fat brick. The reduced-fat cream cheese has carbs added to it by way of starch.
Mozzarella Cheese: pre-shredded part-skim Mozzarella cheese works best.
Asiago Cheese: I buy the whole block of cheese and shred it with my cheese grater.
Eggs: Be sure to bring the eggs to room temperature before using them.
Silpat or Parchment Paper: I like to use the Silpat as it is more economical. It's very easy to clean.
Baking Sheet: I use a large insulated baking sheet.
Tips for successful Keto Asiago Bagels
I have made many keto bagels over the last few years. Having done so, I have discovered a few things that make a keto bagel recipe easier to make and turns out perfect.
- When measuring the flour, be sure to spoon the flour in the measuring cup then level it off. Scooping it into the measuring cup from the bag will tend to give you more flour than you need as it packs it in.
- Add the flour to the cheese mixture first, then the eggs.
- Whisk the eggs before adding them to the cheese mixture.
- Stir some shredded cheese in with the almond flour to fold into the cheese mixture. You can add the same type of cheese, or you can add another flavored cheese. I love to do this with Pepper Jack and Asiago Cheese.
- When making the bagel, I have found it easier to roll the dough into a ball shape, then press my thumb through the middle of the bagel ball to make a hole. This works far easier than making a rope and pressing it together.
Make these keto bagels your way
The bagel base for these Asiago Bagels is a basic fathead dough and is a great recipe for many different venues. You can flavor the dough of the bagels by using different cheeses and spices. Below are a few ideas.
- Swap Parmesan Cheese for Asiago Cheese, it melts in the same way and has a delicious strong flavor similar to Asiago
- Stir a 2 teaspoons of chili powder and 1 teaspoon cumin powder for a chili flavored Asiago Bagel.
- Sprinkle the cheese topping with some Everything Bagel seasoning or sesame seeds.
- Make mini bagels. Instead of 8 equal portions, make 12 small portions and shape as instructed.
What to make with Asiago Bagels
Breakfast Sandwiches are a great way to enjoy an Asiago Bagel. I like to make a sandwich with a slice of cheese, sausage patty or bacon, and an egg. Sometimes I will just make sausage and cheese and skip the egg.
Keto Reuben: Sub the Asiago Bagel for the Rye flavor.
Use the Asiago Bagel as a base in this Venison Sloppy Joe.
Use an Asiago Bagel as the bun for any of your favorite burgers.
*If you made this recipe for Asiago Bagels, please give it a star rating*
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, baking powder, salt and ¾ cup of asiago cheese. Set aside.
- Place the cream cheese and mozzarella cheese In microwave-safe bowl and cook on high for 1 to 1-½ minutes, or until til cheese is smooth when stirred.
- Add the almond flour mixture and beaten egg to the hot cheese mixture and stir until combined well.
- Divide dough into 8 portions. Roll into a ball shape and press thumb in the center of the ball, making a hole in the bagel. Stretch the bagel some to open the hole up a little wider.
- Place the bagels on a baking sheet lined with Silpat or parchment paper. Top the bagels evenly with the remaining Asiago cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until bagels have lightly browned and cheese on top of the bagel is melted.