This Apple Upside Down Cake is delicious with syrup sweetened Honeycrisp apples and pecans that decoratively adorn the bottom of the cake. When the cake is flipped there is a gorgeous view of the cooked fruit that was buried under the tender crumbed cake!
If you're wondering what to do with some of your end of season apples, then an Apple Upside Down Cake is just the answer! It is a treat to feed your family and friends for that special weekend dessert, a casual gathering of friends, birthday, or holiday dinner.
Serving suggestion: Serve this Apple Upside Down Cake for dessert after you have had a delicious dinner of Instant Pot Venison Stew!
When you have apples, you make Apple Upside Down Cake
We had about been apple-d out. We love our apples, especially the Honeycrisp apple. But, by the time the season is over, we have had so many apples I start to run out of ideas. I had recently made my Dad a Blackberry Upside Down Cake which made me think about this Apple Upside Down Cake.
I wanted to give this cake a little something more than just an apple filling on the bottom of the cake. Pecans seem to compliment apples quite well, so I went with chopped roasted pecans. This fall treat turned out extra delicious and the entire family loved the recipe.
What you need to make this recipe
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from affiliate links.
9" round cake pan: This recipe worked perfectly in this size pan. I highly recommend you use this size to get the same results I did.
Mandoline: I used my mandoline to get consistent sized apple slices. It's not required to have this tool, but it is certainly very handy. I use it for many things, from cheese to apples and potatoes.
Electric Hand Mixer: An electric mixer makes the process a whole lot easier. This is especially important when whisking the egg whites.
Flour Sifter: This is used to remove any lumps from the flour and to be sure all the dry ingredients are well incorporated.
Tips to get the best results when making an Apple Upside Down Cake
- Be sure to liberally spray the cake pan with cooking spray to prevent the cake from sticking to the pan.
- Don't cool the cake for longer than 5 minutes. This could result in the cake refusing to easily come out of the pan.
- Use a plate that is larger in circumference than the cake pan when inverting the cake.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter, don't beat them in. It will change the texture of your cake and defeat the whole purpose of adding the egg whites.
- Don't pack your flour into the measuring cups and do not skip the sifting process.
Successfully make this cake your way
Make a brown sugar caramel sauce. This recipe uses white sugar that is caramelized in a saucepan prior to pouring it into the cake pan. Some may prefer a brown sugar bottom for that caramel apple effect. It is perfectly fine to substitute brown sugar for white sugar for the syrup.
Substitute toasted walnuts for the pecans. Chop them up roughly before sprinkling over the apple slices.
Substitute cinnamon candies for the nuts.
Sprinkle some cinnamon over the top of the caramel apple sauce before pouring the cake batter.
Other Upside Down Cake recipes you may want to try
We love our upside-down cakes! And, since they are my dad's favorite type of cake, I have a few more recipes up my sleeve!
Dad's very favorite cake is the Pineapple Upside Down Cake. It is what he always requests for his birthday every year. Whenever I am there, I love to be the one to make it for him.
Another delicious cake is the Blackberry Upside Down Cake. If you have fresh or frozen blackberries, either will work!
What to serve with Apple Upside Down Cake
- Some homemade whipped cream is always welcome! Just whip some heavy cream with a little powdered sugar. Sprinkle with some cinnamon if your feeling adventurous!
- Ice Cream! Our favorite ice cream is Homemade Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. If you don't want to make your own, a premium vanilla ice cream will work. If you're going to eat ice cream with your cake, don't you want to make sure it is the best?
*If you made this Apple Upside Down Cake, please give it a star rating!*
Apple Upside Down Cake with Toasted Pecans
FOR THE TOPPING
- Cooking Spary
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 3 cups apples sliced ¼ inch thick
FOR THE CAKE
- 1-⅓ cup flour
- 1-½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup milk
- 3 large egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
FOR THE TOPPING
- Add the ½ cup granulated sugar and ¼ cup water to a saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook for 3 minutes, or until the sugar dissolves. Then, continue to cook, without stirring, for 4 minutes, or until the syrup has turned golden.
- Spray the cake pan liberally with cooking spray. Pour the syrup into the cake pan and swirl to cover the bottom.
- While the syrup is cooking, prepare the apples. Be sure to set the mandoline to ¼ inch thick setting and use the protective guide! If not using the mandoline, cut the apple wedges into a uniform size much as possible.
- Arrange the apple slices in a concentric circle over the top of the caramel syrup mixture. Set aside and make the cake batter.
FOR THE CAKE
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg yolks and mix until creamy.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt to the flour sifter and sift into a small bowl to combine. Or, sift from the sifter into the mixing bowl.
- Start with about ⅓ of the flour and mix well using a hand mixer. Alternate with the milk and end the mixing with the last ⅓ of the flour mixture. Set the cake batter aside.
- Place the egg whites in a clean mixing bowl. Beat with a hand mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter. Transfer the cake batter to the cake pan, covering the apples and pecans completely.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes on a cooling rack.
- Lay a serving plate on top of the cake pan, then invert the cake on the plate.
- Serve warm if desired.