If you love extra crispy chicken wings, then these Air Fryer Chicken Wings with Buffalo Sauce are exactly what you're looking for! The air fryer cooks the wings to perfect crispiness, giving you that super tasty mouth pleasure of crispy fried chicken skin. These are perfect for a super bowl or any other game day party.
Buffalo wings are our go-to appetizer to serve when we are enjoying the super bowl. This recipe makes enough for just two people to enjoy as a meal and 6 people as an appetizer (two wings each).
Air Fryer Chicken Wings for the crispiest wings ever!
Everyone I know loves a crispy chicken wing. The best way to get crispy chicken has always been achieved by deep-frying. Until the air fryer came onto the scene that is. Now you can say goodbye to the mess and hello to the best crispy chicken wings you have ever tasted!
When air frying chicken wings, the only thing you need to add to them is a little bit of salt and pepper. Then, when those wings are as crispy as you want them, take them out and toss them in your favorite hot sauce mixture. It is as easy as that.
This recipe for wings is naturally zero carbs!
We do watch our carb intake, and another benefit to this recipe is your getting a zero carb recipe! All this means is you need to watch the sauce you add to the wings. The sauce recipe I am sharing with you today is also zero carbs. So, if you are following a low carb or keto lifestyle, these wings will be perfect for you!
What you need to make this recipe
Air Fryer: We have this one, and it works perfectly fine. However, it will only make enough for two people. This air fryer can still cook what you want. Just air fry a basketful at a time, then store the wings in a slow cooker to keep them warm. They will still remain crispy.
Fresh Chicken Wings: Skip frozen pre-cut wings. The best way to go here is a fresh wing. You can easily cut the tip off and cut the drumstick and wing section in half on your own. It's also less expensive that way.
Buffalo Sauce: The best way to go is a nice spicy buffalo sauce. The recipe will be included with the wing instructions. If you have your own favorite sauce, once the wings are air fried, just toss them in the sauce and serve.
Tips for the BEST Chicken Wings
- As I said above, fresh is best. Always go that route if you can.
- Don't layer the wings on top of each other.
- Season the wings well with salt and pepper before cooking.
- Use the rack that comes with the air fryer. This lifts the wings up about halfway to the top and allows the hot air to circulate better. I still flip the wings right before I turn the temperature up for the last 15 minutes.
- You do NOT need baking powder for this recipe. The air fryer does the job of crisping up the wings on its own.
- The total cooking time for my particular fryer is 50 minutes. The chicken wings are cooked for 30 minutes on a lower heat, then 15 minutes at high heat before they reach the desired crispiness.
- Sprinkle some other seasonings on the chicken before frying. We have used Cajun seasoning as well as a Lemon Pepper Seasoning.
- Picky Eater Tip: If you have picky kids (or adults) who won't eat sauce on their wings, the good news is this recipe is the perfect recipe for them! Just serve up naked wings and a side of dip for that picky eater!
To dip or not to dip, that is the question!
Do you dip your wings in a blue cheese sauce? That is our favorite way to dip. I make the blue cheese sauce from this recipe for this Cheesesteak Sandwich for dipping.
I find most people in my area love blue cheese, but if you're a ranch person, then, by all means, enjoy your wings with plain ranch dressing. This Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing is the best.
However, if you like a spicy ranch dressing then this Creamy Tomatillo Jalapeno Ranch Dip will likely make your lips tingle!
What to serve with this chicken wing recipe
Pizza always goes great with wings. Try Buffalo Chicken Pizza, Cheeseburger Pizza, Steak and Potato Pizza, Easy Barbecue Chicken Pizza (keto), and Meatball Pizza (keto). You also may like to try Wine Braised Short Rib Pizza or Salami Pizza (keto).
Sliders make great party food and sides to air fried chicken wings. Try Buffalo Chicken Sliders, Easy Shrimp Po' Boy Sliders, Crispy Pork Belly Sliders, Slow Cooker Beef and Veggie Sliders, Ham and Swiss Sliders, or Peperoncini BBQ Cheeseburger Sliders!
More recipes for Superbowl
Check out this list of 100+ Super Bowl Recipes Ideas!
Are you new to using the air fryer? If so, then be sure to read this post on How To Use an Air Fryer to learn the best one to buy, air fryer cooking tips, cleaning tips, and more!
*If you made this recipe, please give it a star rating*
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings
- 6 wings tips cut and sectioned (total of 12 chicken portions)
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup hot sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper the wing portions to taste.
- Arrange the wing portions in the air fryer basket on a rack.
- Set heat for 30 minutes at 360 degrees.
- Remove basket from air fryer and turn wings over.
- Return basket to the air fryer, turn the heat to 390 degrees, and cook for 15 minutes more, or until wings are crispy.
- Melt the butter and stir in the hot sauce.
- Pour the butter mixture over the cooked wings. Toss to coat.